Medicaid is a health insurance program for those with low enough income that they cannot afford health care costs. Medicaid is an income based program.
Family Medicaid Programs:
- MIC (Medicaid for Infants and Children): Medicaid for infants and children ages birth through 18 years.
- NCHC (North Carolina Health Choice): for children ages 6 through18 years.
- MAF (Medicaid for Adults and Families): Medicaid for families with dependent children. Parents/Caretakers with children under the age of 19 in the home and for children in the home that are ages 19 and 20.
- MAF Independent Living: Children that are not living with their parents or spouse
(MIC, NCHC and MAF listed above are all full coverage Medicaid programs)
- MPW (Medicaid for Pregnant Women): Medicaid for pregnant women of all ages.
- FPP (Family Planning Program): is designed to reduce unintended pregnancies and improve well-being of children with families. This program is for both men and women.
- Initial, annual and periodic family planning visit
- Family Planning counseling visits
- Pregnancy Test
- Contraceptive supply visits
- Medicaid-covered FDA approved birth control methods (excludes diaphragms & condoms)
- Screening for HIV
- Limited screening for treatment of STD's
How to Apply
Application can be taken:
- in person at the local Department of Social Services
- by mail (by calling to request one be mailed to you or by picking one up at the front office)
- by completing an application online at https://epass.nc.gov/CitizenPortal/application.do or http://healthcare.gov/
- or by mail https://www2.ncdhhs.gov/info/olm/forms/dma/dma-5200-ia.pdf
What Items are Needed to Apply for Medicaid?
You are not required to take anything with you when you apply for Medicaid. However, it is helpful if you have your Social Security Number, Birth Certificates, proof of your income and information about your resources (such as your bank account number and your insurance policy number.) If you are self-employed, your business records and/or tax records would be helpful.
Have questions, call our office at 919-542-2759 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org