PURPOSE OF THE FOOD AND NUTRITION PROGRAMThe Food and Nutrition Program is designed to promote the general welfare and to safeguard the health and well-being of the nation's population by raising the levels of nutrition among low-income households. The amount of assistance depends on the family's eligibility. Benefits are issued monthly by an electronic benefit card (EBT).
The EBT card can be used at approved USDA stores just like a debit card. Each use of the card is automatically deducted from the benefit balance. A receipt will be given with purchases that will show the remaining balance on the card.
Food and Nutrition services is an income based program that does allow certain household deductions to determine eligibility.
The following is information needed to determine eligibility but isn't required in order to place an application:
• Identification such as valid driver's license or ID card
• Social Security Cards for all members of household included in Food and Nutrition Program
• Verification of all income for members of household included in Food and Nutrition Program
• Verification of Rent or Mortgage Expenses
• Verification of Utility Expenses (electric bill, water bill, telephone bill, etc.)
• Information regarding all resources (bank accounts, 401-K, vehicles, burial plots, etc.)
• Proof of medical expenses for household members receiving Social Security Disability or age 60 and older
Additional information may be needed and will be discussed during the interview.
How to Apply
Applications can be submitted in person a the local DSS office, by mail or by fax and online by submitting an application at https://epass.nc.gov/CitizenPortal/application.do
“The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or if all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)
Have questions, call us at 919-542-2759 or email us at email@example.com