All documents recorded on or after July 1, 2002 must meet the following requirements of NC General Statute 161.14(b) as follows:
- Be 8.5" X 11" or 8.5" X 14" in size
- Have a 3-inch blank margin at the top of the first page and a quarter-inch blank margin on all remaining sides of the first page and on all sides of subsequent pages
- Use black ink on white paper
- Use a font size no smaller than 9 points (fill-in-the-blank areas on instruments may be completed in pen and corrections to instruments may be made in pen)
- Use only one-sided typed or printed text
- Provide the type of instrument at the top of the first page below the blank margin
- Deeds and deeds of trust must have a prepared by statement on the first page (cannot be in the margin areas.
All documents must have a return to statement on the first page with the name and address to return the document to after recording (cannot be in the margin areas).
If any instrument (document) does not meet the requirements outlined above, the Register of Deeds shall register the document after collecting a $25.00 fee for non-standard documents as required by General Statute 161-10(a)(19).