Service Changes due to COVID-19
Effective Wednesday, March 18, 2020, Chatham County Register of Deeds will be limiting public access to the office to promote the employees' and the public's health and safety. The Register of Deeds requests that customers call their office with questions before coming to the office- 919-542-8235. Please refer below for guidance for obtaining Real Estate Recording, Certified Copies of Vital Records, and Marriage Licenses and Notary Oaths.
Real Estate Recording:
- There will be a lock box in the foyer for paper recording.The document and check shall be placed in the box and will be processed quickly.Be sure that there is a telephone number for us to call if there are issues with the document.
- Plats are to be left on the table, and an information sheet with an address and telephone number, with a check for the recording fee shall be placed in the lock box. Please be sure that the plats have been signed by all necessary parties.
- All eRecording and recording by mail will continue on the same schedule.
Certified Copies of Vital Records:
Certified copies of vital records may be obtained by written request through the mail or by filling out a request placed in the lock box in the foyer, with a copy of a valid ID. Payment shall be by check or money order only. NO CASH will be accepted. The fee is $10.00 for each certified copy. There must be a telephone number and a mailing address for Register of Deeds to send the certified copy after processing.
Funeral Homes shall submit copy request and check with the Health Department for death certificates.
For out of county Birth Certificates, contact the county of birth. We will not be providing out of county birth certificates at this time.
Marriage Licenses and Notary Oaths:
Marriage licenses and notary oaths will be by appointment only. Please call the Register of Deeds office at 919-542-8235 to schedule the appointment. We will ask health questions and travel questions before scheduling, and reserve the right not to schedule an appointment if we have any concerns. Only the individuals involved, plus a translator if required, will be permitted in the office. All others must wait outside the office.
The mission of the Chatham County Register of Deeds Office is to serve as legal custodians of all real estate and vital records (birth, deaths, marriages, etc.) for Chatham County. The Register of Deeds is an elected position, but all staff in the office are sworn public officials who are responsible for the accuracy, integrity and maintenance of the public records we are charged with keeping. We committed to providing efficient, timely service to the general public and to the professionals who depend on our work.
Effective July 20, 2015, the Chatham County Register of Deeds will begin accepting electronically submitted real estate documents (except for plats) for recording.
RECORDS MAINTAINED BY THE REGISTER OF DEEDS
The Register of Deeds Office maintains the following records for public inspection and retrieval:
- All Chatham County land transactions, including any sales or exchanges of real property in the county. This includes any transactions involving parcels of land, easements, rights of way and leaseholdings.
- Security documents, such as deeds of trust, mortgages, and uniform commercial code filings.
- All records to be recorded must be original documents.
- Public records of notaries.
- Records of businesses operating under assumed names.
- Vital records, including births, deaths and marriages. The office provides certified copies of vital records to persons who are eligible under state law.
The Register of Deeds Office is a depository of records. It is NOT a creator of documents, nor a corrector of mistakes. It is governed by state law.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Click on the icons below to get more information about each one:
FEES FOR SERVICES (Several deed/document fees changed, effective Oct. 1, 2016)
- Recording general instruments:
$26.00 for up to 15 pages
$4.00 for each additional page over 15 pages
- Recording a deed of trust*:
$64 for up to 35 pages, $4 each additional page over 35 (includes $2 verification fee)
$4.00 for each additional page over 15 pages
- Recording a deed
$26.00 (includes $2 verification fee) for up to 15 pages
$4.00 for each additional page
- Recording documents containing multiple instruments:
In addition to the fees listed above, an additional $10.00 is charged for each additional instrument presented as part of a single document.
- Recording a cancellation of deed of trust: No fee
- Recording plats of land: $21.00
- Uncertified copies of plats: $1.00
- Certified copies of land records: $5 for the first page and $2 for each additional page
- Marriage license: $60.00
- Certified copy of marriage license: $10.00 per copy
- Certified copy of birth or death record: $10.00 per copy
- Delayed birth certificate applications: $20.00
- Amendments to birth or death records (preparation): $10.00
- Legitimations**: $10.00
- Uncertified copies of all records: 25 cents per page
*Assignments are recorded when a lien holder sells the note to another financial institution, so that the deed of trust reflects the new financial institution.
**Legitimations are filed when the parents of a child marry after the child's birth, but want to put the father's last name on the child's birth certificate.
REQUIREMENTS FOR OBTAINING OR FILING DOCUMENT
- Obtaining copies of vital records (birth, death or marriage certificate): The person requesting a copy must be the person named in the record, a relative of the person (spouse, brother, sister, child, parent, step-parent, grandparent) or an authorized agent by law (attorney or legal representative with appropriate documentation). You must bring a photo identification with you (valid driver's license, passport, etc.).
- Filing for marriage license: Click here for more information
- Document recording standards: Click here for more information.
OUT-OF-COUNTY BIRTH CERTIFICATES
Effective May 1, 2015, Chatham County Register of Deeds will participate in the Statewide Birth Certificate Issuance Program. This program will allow the Chatham County Register of Deeds to search and certify birth certificates in any county within North Carolina, from 1971 and thereafter. NOTE: No statewide birth certificates will be issued after 4 PM
COST FOR SERVICE (cash only):
- $24.00 per search which will include one certified copy
- $15.00 for each additional certified copy of the same birth certificate
IMPORTANT: This service does not include birth certificates for adoptees or delayed births registered more than one year after the date of birth. Those records can be obtained through Vital Records in Raleigh, NC.
OFFICE LOCATION & PARKING
We are located in the Chatham County Courthouse Annex at 12 East Street on the first floor. The Courthouse Annex building is on the south side of the courthouse traffic circle (the historic Superior Courthouse is in the middle of the circle) in downtown Pittsboro.
Parking is located behind the Courthouse Annex, which is accessible from Chatham Street (also US 15/501 South) just after exiting the traffic circle. As you come up to the Courthouse Annex from the parking area, go to the large stairwell opening in the middle of the building, but do NOT go upstairs. Go through the opening to the left of the stairwell and our office will be around the corner at the end of the building (closest to the BP station).
We are open Monday through Friday, except on official holidays.
- Hours of Operation: 8:00 am-5:00 pm
- Recording Hours: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
- eRecording Hours: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Marriage License Hours: 8:00 am-4:00 pm
Chatham County Register of Deeds
P. O. Box 756
12 East Sreet (overnight mailings)
Pittsboro, NC 27312
Chatham County Register of Deeds
Phone: 919-542-8236 (Lunday Riggsbee's direct line)