These are just a few resources that we have identified, if you know of a great resource that is not included please email the link to email@example.com.
Middle- Integrated Lesson Plans: These lessons have been aligned with North Carolina’s Essential Standards. Resources created by the Chatham County Public Health Department are designated with an “*”. All other resources have been compiled from reputable outside sources.
- Successfully Teaching Middle and High School Health: The North Carolina School Health Training Center has developed a training manual aligned with the Healthful Living Standards for Middle and High school. The Chatham County Public Health Department has a copy of the manual. To borrow the manual contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- *Hand Hygiene Mini Lessons: These short lessons were designed for grades K-2, 3-5, and 6-8 focusing on germ theory and proper hand washing technique to prevent the spread of germs and disease. Lessons can be used to set hand hygiene expectations in the class room, as a refresher activity for other hygiene related lessons, or as a quick activity during flu and cold season to remind students about proper hand hygiene.
- Rights, Responsibilities, and Respect: Developed by Advocates for Youth, the “Rights, Respect, Responsibility” curriculum provides lesson plans and materials for grades K-12 that meet the National Sexuality Education Standards and cover all 16 topics recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as essential components of sexual health education. Lessons are 50 minutes in Grades 6-12. There are family homework activities for most lessons in Grades K-9 to facilitate a way for students and their parents/care-givers to have important conversations together. Lessons can be used sequentially, or in parts, according to the needs of the educator. The search function on the website allows you to search lessons by grade level and topics. All materials are free and all materials can be downloaded from the Advocates for Youth website.
- *6th Grade Puberty Two Part Lesson: This two part lesson focuses on the Interpersonal Communications and Relationships Healthful Living North Carolina (NC) Essential Standards and was adapted for use in Chatham County Schools by the Chatham County Public Health Department. Session one covers information on puberty, physical changes during puberty, the reproductive system, and social changes during puberty. Session two covers standard 6.ICR.3.2, summarize the relationship between conception and the menstrual cycle.
- Proctor and Gamble School Puberty Programs: Proctor and Gamble offers a free online video on puberty for 5th and 6th graders titled “Always Changing and Growing Up.” There are many different options that all run about 25 minutes long. Materials include co-ed videos, separate girls and boys videos, and downloadable materials such as materials for students, parents, puberty FAQ, and teacher guides. All materials are available in Spanish.
- Puberty: The Wonder Years: Puberty: The Wonder Years is a research-based, developmentally-appropriate sex education curriculum for 4th-6th grades that aligns with national standards. There are separate age-appropriate lessons for 4th, 5th, and 6th grades. Materials include power point slides, family resources, and online teacher resources. Lessons include puberty and body changes, personal hygiene, social and emotional changes, reproductive system changes, making responsible decisions, peer refusal skills, emotions and relationships, and postponing sex.
- Changes, Changes, Changes: Great Methods for Puberty Education: This curriculum is an updated expansion of the classic New Methods for Puberty Education. This curriculum includes 40 engaging and informative lesson activities and topics range from emotional and physical puberty changes, to problem-solving and social situations, to dealing with homophobia, to social media safety.
Middle- Additional Sites with Lesson Plans: The lessons and resources available on these sites cover the topics included in the Essential Standards, though they have not specifically been aligned with the North Carolina Essential Standards.
- Discovery Education Lesson Plans Library – Health: Discovery Education’s Health Lesson Plan library includes lesson plans categorized by grades K-5, 6-8 and 9-12. Some lessons include suggestions for adaptations for older or younger audiences.
- LearntobeHealthy.org: Provides both lesson plans and web-based interactive lessons. Includes content for grades K-6 and grades 7-12. Access to materials requires free sign-up.