These are just a few resources that we have identified, if you know of a great resource that is not included please email the link to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Elementary- Integrated Lesson Plans: These lessons have been aligned with North Carolina’s Essential Standards. Resources created by the Chatham County Public Health Department are designated with an “*”. All other resources have been compiled from reputable outside sources.
- Elementary Health Education Lesson Plans: An Integrated Approach: NC Healthy Schools a resource created by the NC Department of Public Instruction and Department of Health and Human provides lesson plans aligned to each Essential Standard objective K-5. Each lesson meets an objective in Healthful Living and Math or Language Arts.
- Language Arts Nutrition Lesson Plans: Food for Thought Curriculum: The Food for Thought Curriculum, created by Eat Smart, Move More, NC is a K-5 Curriculum that combines the nutrition objectives within the Healthy Living Standards with Math and Language Arts.
- *Hand Hygiene Mini Lessons: Short lessons designed for grades K-2, 3-5, and 6-8 focusing on germ theory and proper hand washing technique to prevent the spread of germs and disease. Lessons can be used to set hand hygiene expectations in the class room, as a refresher activity for other hygiene related lessons, or as a quick activity during flu and cold season to remind students about proper hand hygiene.
- Rights, Responsibilities, and Respect: Developed by Advocates for Youth, the “Rights, Respect, Responsibility” curriculum provides lesson plans and materials for grades K-12 that meet the National Sexuality Education Standards and cover all 16 topics recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as essential components of sexual health education. Lessons are 40 minutes in K-5. There are family homework activities for most lessons in Grades K-9 to facilitate a way for students and their parents/care-givers to have important conversations together. Lessons can be used sequentially, or in parts, according to the needs of the educator. The search function on the website allows you to search lessons by grade level and topics. All materials are free and all materials can be downloaded from the Advocates for Youth website.
- *Healthy Habits Campaign: This program provides quick and easy health lessons for K-5. Each month has been assigned a different healthy habit as its focus. You may use the Healthy Habits Campaign using the monthly schedule provided, or you may use individual lessons to highlight specific topics. Topics include healthy eating, drug-free living, hand washing and hygiene.
- *3rd Grade Hygiene Lesson Plan: This lesson was developed by the Chatham County Public Health Department in response to requests for a information focusing on good hygiene practices. The lesson focuses on the North Carolina Essential Standard 3.PCH.2: Apply measures for cleanliness and disease prevention. It also covers topics related to 3.PCH.1: Understand wellness, disease prevention, and recognition of symptoms. Please click on the links below for the lesson materials:
- *4th-5th Grade Puberty and Hygiene Lesson Plan: This lesson was adapted for use in Chatham County School’s by the Chatham County Public Health department from “Successfully Teaching Middle and High School Health” developed by the North Carolina School Health Training Center. The lesson focuses on the North Carolina Essential Standards 4.ICR.2 (understand the changes that occur during puberty and adolescence) and 5.ICR.2 (analyze the changes and influences that occur during puberty and adolescence). Please click on the links below for the lesson materials:
- Proctor and Gamble School Puberty Programs: Proctor and Gamble offers a free online video on puberty for 5th and 6th graders titled “Always Changing and Growing Up.” There are many different options that all run about 25 minutes long. Materials include co-ed videos, separate girls and boys videos, and downloadable materials such as materials for students, parents, puberty FAQ, and teacher guides. All materials are available in Spanish.
- Puberty: The Wonder Years: Puberty: The Wonder Years is a research-based, developmentally-appropriate sex education curriculum for 4th-6th grades that aligns with national standards. There are separate age-appropriate lessons for 4th, 5th, and 6th grades. Materials include power point slides, family resources, and online teacher resources. Lessons include puberty and body changes, personal hygiene, social and emotional changes, reproductive system changes, making responsible decisions, peer refusal skills, emotions and relationships, and postponing sex.
Elementary- Additional Sites with Lesson Plans: The lessons and resources available on these sites cover the topics included in the Essential Standards, though they have not specifically been aligned with the North Carolina Essential Standards.
- Discovery Education Lesson Plans Library – Health: Discovery Education’s Health Lesson Plan library includes lesson plans categorized by grades K-5, 6-8 and 9-12. Some lessons include suggestions for adaptations for older or younger audiences.
- LifeLab: Bringing learning to life in the garden! LifeLab provides common core content standards to garden-based learning.
- LearntobeHealthy.org: Provides both lesson plans and web-based interactive lessons. Includes content for grades K-6 and grades 7-12. Access to materials requires free sign-up.
- MyPlate Kids' Place: Offering science-based advice, MyPlate Kids' Place can help kids build healthy meals and to maintain or achieve a healthy weight. Also includes MyPlate Kids' Place Resources for Parents and Educators for “teachable moments” that will influence children’s choices at home and at school. More materials for kids and parents with kids can be found on the Team Nutrition website.