This policy, which will replace the existing county policy on tobacco use, will prohibit the use of any tobacco products, including cigarettes, cigars, all forms of smokeless tobacco (e.g., dip), and other smoking devices, namely vapor products (electronic cigarettes), on county grounds.
Tobacco use and secondhand smoke exposure are leading preventable causes of illness and premature death in North Carolina and the nation. Chatham County is committed to ensuring that staff, residents, and visitors can avoid the risks associated with tobacco while on county grounds.
Prior to the policy taking effect, a public education period will take place to inform the public and staff on the policy, and to share available resources with those looking to quit.
If you have any questions, please see the resources below or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Policy and Press Release
If you are interested in tobacco cessation services or would like to know more about the updated tobacco policy, please call the Chatham County Tobacco Helpline at 919-545-8376.
- Tobacco Cessation Resources
- Information on Electronic Cigarettes
- Youth Tobacco Prevention
- Secondhand Smoke Exposure (Source: NC Division of Health and Human Services) http://www.tobaccopreventionandcontrol.ncdhhs.gov/shs/index.htm
- Smoking and Health Effects (Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/index.htm
- Electronic Cigarettes Key Findings (Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/youth-intentions/index.htm
- Electronic Cigarettes (Source: NC Division of Health and Human Services) http://www.tobaccopreventionandcontrol.ncdhhs.gov/ecigs/
- For help quitting tobacco use, call toll free 1-800-QUIT-NOW or visit www.QuitlineNC.com