For the latest information on coronavirus, or COVID-19, including service and program impacts in Chatham County, please visit the coronavirus webpage.

Obtaining Mobile Home Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Includes temporary travel trailers, construction and office trailers

How to Obtain Mobile Home Permits

Step 1 - Environmental Health:

  • NEW SITES: Obtain the Improvements Permit (IP), Construction Authorization Permit (CA) and Well Permit.

  • EXISTING SITES: Obtain a Setback Compliance Permit for replacement dwellings that already have existing water and/or sewer systems.

  • Environmental Health must issue the fore-mentioned permits prior to applying for a mobile home set up permit with Central Permitting. 

  • Environmental Health may request a Flood Plain Determination from the Chatham County Planning Department.

  • For more information on Environmental Health permits, click here.


Step 2 - 911 Address:

  • Contact Emergency Operations at (919) 545-8161 to secure a new 911 address or to verify an existing physical address. NOTE: A mobile home set up permit will NOT be issued without this information.

Step 3 - County Water:

  • Contact Chatham County Utilities at (919) 542-8270 to verify county water availability. Retain a copy of your tap fee receipt for submission to Central Permitting.

Step 4 - Plan Submittal:

  • A set of plans must be submitted and approved by building inspections if the mobile home will have a deck that exceeds 6' x 6' or 36 sq ft, or if it will have porches and/or ramps constructed. Plans should include structural and footing/foundation information.

  • Please allow seven business days for plan approval. Plans must be approved before issuance of the mobile home set up permit.

  • Notify Environmental Health of decks that exceed 6' x 6' or 36 sq. ft., or of any porches and ramps that will be constructed.

  • Plans must be accompanied by a mobile home permit application.

Step 5 - Mobile Home Set Up Application:

  • Click here to print or save an application form. Applications also are available near the customer service counter in the Central Permitting Office. Applications can be faxed or emailed upon request. (Haga clic aquí para su aplicación en español)

  • All pages of the application must be completed.

  • Important information needed: the landowner name and address; the 911 address; the size, year, serial number and cost of the home being permitted; specific directions to the site from Pittsboro; the tax parcel number; the power company serving the home; and the individual’s name on the utility account. The permit application must indicate company names and license numbers of the set-up contractor or mover as well as any contractors for electrical, heating/air conditioning and plumbing. Also, a copy of the mobile home moving permit is required. A set up permit cannot be issued without this information.

  • Lien Agent designation - Contractors must designate lien agents for all projects where the total cost of improvement is $30,000 or more (excluding improvements to an existing single family residence that is occupied by the owner).  A copy shall be submitted to the Central Permitting Department at the time of application.  Click here for step by step instructions for appointment of Lien Agent.

  • An individual must be the landowner/homeowner and reside in the mobile home if serving in the role of contractor for the project. An owner’s statement form will need to be obtained from Central Permitting and it must be completed and notarized.

 Step 6 - Securing Mobile Home Set Up Permits:

  • Submit the completed application along with permits obtained from Environmental Health to Central Permitting.

  • Central Permitting will complete the Tax Information section at the bottom of page one and request that the application be taken to the Chatham County Planning Department for approval of page two. If the property is located in the Town of Pittsboro’s Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction (ETJ), the application will need to be taken to the Town of Pittsboro’s Administrative Office located at 41 Fayetteville Street for approval.

  • Central Permitting will review and process the permit application.


Permits are issued daily from 8 am to 4pm.


Installing Mobile Homes In Mobile Home Parks:

  • Contact Environmental Health or the park owner for sewer system information.

  • Chatham County Planning Department will need to review and approve the application. If the park is located in the Town of Pittsboro’s ETJ, the application will need to be taken to the Town of Pittsboro for approval.

  • Central Permitting will review and process the permit application.


SILER CITY AREA: If property is located in Siler City or its Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction (ETJ), contact the Town of Siler City at (919) 742-2323 to obtain mobile home set up permits.

Mobile home permits must be obtained before a home is placed on the property.  Placing a home on property without a permit will result in a double permit 

Internal Linksfee.


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer