For the latest information on coronavirus, or COVID-19, including service and program impacts in Chatham County, please visit the coronavirus webpage.

Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
  • I come from another state. What is county government like here?
    One of the most likely differences is that counties in North Carolina are not involved with building or repairing roads and bridges. More information on the differences can be found here.
  • I live in a rural area with no high-speed Internet access…when might I have access to a faster connection?
    Chatham County is served by two cable providers, two DSL providers, and a couple of broadband wireless providers, all serving different parts of the county. However, many of the most remote areas are not yet served with cable or DSL because of the lower population in these areas. In some cases, it has been helpful for clusters of rural neighbors to collect signatures from households to present to the local provider. Unfortunately, county government cannot require or force providers to serve rural areas. Counties also are forbidden from providing these services themselves.
  • Where do I go to get my driver’s license?
    The N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles manages this program and it must be done in person at offices located in each county. The only office in Chatham County is in Siler City. Call 919-663-2601 for directions. However, you also can get licenses in other counties, such as where you work or closer to your residence. To find other locations, click here.
  • Where do I get a license plate tag for my vehicle?
    The N. C. Division of Motor Vehicles also manages this program. Auto dealerships can take care of this when you buy a car at a dealership. Otherwise, you must visit specific locations in each county. The only office in Chatham County is located at 311 N. Second Avenue in Siler City. Contact them at 919-742-1307 for information on hours. Renewals are handled by mail unless you have failed to pay your vehicle property taxes or insurance on time, requiring you to renew in person and provide verification that you have paid the taxes and insurance.
  • Are there Farmers Markets in the county?
    There are currently two markets in the county, both open from April to November. One is located in Pittsboro at the County Fairgrounds and one is located in Fearrington Village. To get information on hours and dates, click here.
  • What do I do with my trash and recyclables?
    This depends on where you live in the county. If you live in the town limits of Goldston, Pittsboro, Siler City or Cary, the towns provide curbside trash collection and all but Goldston offer curbside recycling. However, if you live outside the town limits, you can either contract with a private waste hauler or use one of the county’s 12 collection centers. Owners of residences in unincorporated areas support the operations of the collection centers through annual county solid waste fees, billed on their county property tax bills. They then receive two decals per residence access to the collection centers for residential trash and recyclables. Town residents wanting to use the collection centers, may obtain a decal by paying county solid waste fees through the Waste Management office. The Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center does not require display of a decal and is open on the third Saturdays of the month (March-November), 9 am-3 pm, off of US 64 about 4 miles west of Pittsboro on County Landfill Road (follow the signs to the animal shelter). For more information, click here.
  • Where do I get a passport in Chatham County?
    You can apply for a passport at the US Post Office in Pittsboro (916 East Street), as well as post offices in Apex, Chapel Hill and other local communities.
  • What is housed in the historic Chatham Courthouse inside the traffic circle?
    The courthouse houses Superior Court and judicial offices. All of the court staff and judges are state employees.