The Chatham County Housing Trust Fund (HTF) was created in 2018 by the Chatham County Board of Commissioners. The fund is intended to provide low interest loans to encourage development projects that preserve or create additional affordable and workforce housing within Chatham County with the overall goals of affirmatively furthering fair housing choice for all residents. The fund may also provide small grants for reimbursement of fees or for studies and other housing related projects in the areas that the county or towns see as a priority for redevelopment.
Housing Trust Fund Priorities
- To increase the supply of affordable housing near resources like grocery stores, public transportation, schools, jobs, and healthcare.
- To reduce and avoid undue concentrations of poverty and subsidized housing.
- To incentivize development of affordable and workforce housing for low-and moderate-income households
- To promote diversity and vitality of neighborhoods.
- For-profit corporations, partnerships, or sole proprietors.
- Private incorporated non-profit agencies with IRS 501(c) designation.
- Public Housing Agencies
- State and Local Governments
The Chatham County Housing Trust Fund will financially support proposals that address affordable housing. Examples of possible proposals include but are not limited to the following:
- Construction of new housing for sale or rental, including land acquisition and hard costs.
- Preservation of existing affordable housing, the tax credits for which are getting ready to expire.
- Conversion or adaptive reuse of existing non-residential structures for housing.
- Purchase and rehabilitation of existing substandard multifamily housing units that do not currently meet the jurisdiction’s minimum housing code.
- Purchase and rehabilitation or conversion of market rate multifamily developments to affordable housing.
- Payment of pre-development costs, such as feasibility studies, appraisals, land options, and preparation of an application.
- Reimbursement grants for fees and charges for projects eligible under the Location Policy. Projects approved for fee reimbursement through the Location Policy do not need to apply separately to the Housing Trust Fund to receive them.
Basic Project Selection Criteria
While a range of activities are eligible, all proposals must contain the following:
- At least 20% of the development must be affordable to households with incomes at or below 120% of the Area Median Income, adjusted for household size.*
- Comply with the applicable jurisdiction’s zoning, land development, and other housing policies.
- Development or program must be within Chatham County.
Applications Available August 30, 2019
Deadline for Questions* October 11, 2019 by 1:00pm
Deadline for Submission November 1, 2019 BY 1:00pm
Announcement of Awards (estimated) End of December
*Questions and their respective answers will be published and sent to all applicants the following week*
Please send applications electronically to email@example.com by 1:00PM on November 1, 2019
Please send in Microsoft Word or PDF format only. Note that you may be required to submit the Budget Attachment, required for proposed housing developments, in Microsoft Excel Format.
If you have questions, please contact:
Stephanie Watkins-Cruz, Policy Analyst - Chatham County Manager’s Office
Phone: 919-545-8398 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Page Last Updated August 2019