For the latest information on coronavirus, or COVID-19, including service and program impacts in Chatham County, please visit the coronavirus webpage.

Registered Motor Vehicles

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

 New!FormMoving out of state or sell/trade a vehicle?

If you have moved out of state or sold/traded a vehicle, click on the above form to find out if you might be eligible for a partial refund of your motor vehicle tax. Instructions and required documents are listed on the form. 

NOTE: The above form DOES NOT change your address in the DMV system, it is only for the purpose of verifying eligibility for a partial refund of motor vehicle tax.  Visit the NCDOT.GOV website to change the address on your registration and/or to notify the NC DMV of an upcoming move. Our office is unable to make address changes for registered motor vehicles.  

Tag & Tax System

Effective with September 2013 registration renewals, the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (NCDMV) began collecting the property tax on registered motor vehicles.

The new law transferred the responsibility for motor vehicle tax collection from the county to the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (NCDMV). The Tag & Tax Together program combines your North Carolina vehicle's registration fees and property taxes into one renewal notice that is sent to you by the NCDMV about 60 days before your vehicle registration expires. More information is available at North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles.

You may appeal the value of your vehicle within 30 days of the due date with the Chatham County Tax Office. In addition, you may request a proration if you no longer own a vehicle with the Chatham County Tax Office.

How to Pay the New Combined Notice

Payment for the new Tag & Tax Together notice cannot be made at the county tax office. You will pay both the registration fee and property taxes to the NCDMV using one of these three payment options:

Online – Visit DMV online payment system to pay with your credit or check card.

By Mail – Send a check or money order to the address listed on your renewal notice.

In Person – Locate a registration renewal office near you

Address Change

Visit the NCDOT.GOV website to change the address on your registration and/or to notify the North Carolina DMV of an upcoming move.  Our office is unable to make address changes for registered motor vehicles.  

Statements of Vehicle Property Taxes Paid

Statements of vehicle property taxes paid to the NC DMV at the time of registration are not available on the County's website. To obtain a statement of the property taxes paid for your vehicles, visit NC DMV online.


          SEND AN EMAIL                                      CALL US

      Email contacts                                PP contact                          





Tag & Tax Together Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How will my registration renewal form change?

The new form combines information about your vehicle registration renewal fee and your vehicle property taxes. The new Tag & Tax System allows you to make one payment for both registration renewal and vehicle property tax.

Q. Will my vehicle registration renewal fee remain the same?

Yes. The cost of your annual vehicle registration renewal will remain the same. The notice will increase to reflect your vehicle property tax amount.

Q. When is my vehicle tax due?

Your vehicle tax will be due at the same time you renew your registration. North Carolina law now requires that your vehicle property tax be paid in order to renew the vehicle registration. The due date will be printed on the new combined notice that you receive in the mail.

Q. Can I renew my vehicle registration if I do not pay my property tax?
No. You cannot renew your vehicle’s registration, whether it is leased or owned, unless the total taxes and registration fees on the vehicle are paid in full.

Q. Am I paying vehicle property taxes for the coming year or for the preceding year?

Taxes due on the notice are for the coming year and cover the same period as the vehicle registration.

Q. What if I lease my vehicle? Do I need to pay my property taxes to the leasing company?

No. Vehicle property taxes on leased motor vehicles must be paid in full at the time of renewal. A copy of the combined tag and tax notice will now be sent to the vehicle lessee rather than the leasing company.

Q. Is interest charged on late payments?

Yes. In accordance with NC General Statute 105-330.4, interest is charged on late property tax beginning the 16th day of the month following the due date.

Q. How will I know the amount of vehicle property tax that I owe?

Your property tax amount will be included on the new combined notice along with your county and municipality tax rates.

Q. Will I receive a tax refund if I transfer my license plate to another vehicle during the year?

No. If you have paid your vehicle property tax for the year and then transfer the license plate to another vehicle, you will not be eligible for a refund of the taxes paid. The registered motor vehicle to which the plates are transferred will not be taxed until its current registration is renewed.

Q. When can I apply for a refund of vehicle property taxes paid?

An owner can apply for a refund of taxes paid when a motor vehicle is sold or registered out of state. The refund will be calculated on any full calendar months remaining in the registration period after the license plate is surrendered to the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles. Any municipal vehicle tax assessed in accordance with NC General Statute 20-97 is not subject to proration or refund. Within one year of surrendering the license plates, the owner must present the following to the county tax office: (1) Proof of plate surrender to NCDMV (DMV Form FS20); and (2) Copy of the Bill of Sale or the new state’s registration.

Q. Will I have to pay vehicle property tax if I am active duty military?

Active duty non-resident military personnel may be exempt from North Carolina motor vehicle property tax. To qualify for an exemption, you must present a copy of your Leave & Earnings Statement (LES) to the county tax office. The statement should be for the month and year in which you register the vehicle and must include your Estimated Time of Separation (ETS) date and a home of record other than North Carolina. Military spouses may also qualify for exemption if their home of record is the same as the service member’s. In addition to providing a copy of the LES as described above, spouses must provide a copy of their military I.D. card and a copy of their out of state driver’s license, voter registration card or most current state tax return. If the vehicle is owned by a leasing company and leased to military personnel, the exemption cannot be applied and the taxes must be paid.

IMPORTANT: Effective January 2018 International Registration Plan (IRP) Trucking License Plates

State law now requires that certain trucking vehicles be listed with the Chatham County Tax Office. Any vehicle plate that meets the definition of an International Registration Plan (IRP) must be included on listing forms in January of each year, starting in January 2018.  For more information, click here.

How can we improve this page for you? 919-542-8250