2018 Chatham County Polar Plungers at Jordan Lake State Park
What is a Polar Plunge?
The Polar Plunge is a unique fundraising opportunity for individuals, organizations and businesses to support Special Olympics NC by jumping or running into a cold body of water in winter. Find out more here.
How do I register to participate?
You can register online by clicking here. There is a $50 registration fee to plunge. Bring friends, family, or coworkers to plunge with you to make the experience more memorable and exciting! All proceeds go to support Special Olympics NC.
Some tips to make your plunge more fun:
- Wear loose-fitting clothes that are easy to remove – your fingers will be probably be numb after you exit the water.
- You will be exiting the water quickly, so do not wear anything that will be heavy when wet.
- Bring a robe, blanket, towel or jacket to wear while you are waiting to plunge.
- You must wear shoes – the ground will be freezing.
- Bring extra towels to dry off.
- Bring loose fitting clothes to change into after the plunge.
- Plunge with friends – it is more fun, especially if you create a crazy costume.
- Remember to smile – photographers will be taking your picture.
- For safety reasons, never dive into the water.
What if I can't (or have no desire to) get in the cold water? Can I still contribute?
If you cannot physically participate or if you haven't quite built up the courage to plunge, you can still contribute to the cause and show your support by donating through our fundraising page. The process is safe and secure and only takes a few minutes to complete. All proceeds go to support Special Olympics NC. You can also print and/or share our event flyer or fundraising link online and in your community!