For the latest information on coronavirus, or COVID-19, including service and program impacts in Chatham County, please visit the coronavirus webpage.

Subdivision Information

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


*NOTE-Not all applications are available for online submission. Click on link above to review Planning Applications available for submission. 

Chatham County regulates the division of land within those areas of the County located outside the planning jurisdictions of Cary, Pittsboro and Siler City through the Chatham County Subdivision Regulations.  The Subdivision Regulations specify procedures and standards for dividing a parcel of land into lots suitable for development and for the provision of appropriate access and utility service to those lots.  Chatham County has two classes of subdivisions - major subdivisions and minor subdivisions.  Chatham County also exempts certain divisions of land from regulation. 

Exempt Subdivisions - Divisions of land that fall into one of six categories that are exempted from regulation by the Subdivision Regulations or State Law.     

Minor Subdivisions - A subdivision of five or fewer lots existing on an existing public road that does not involve the extension or creation of any public improvements.   

Expedited Subdivisions - A minor subdivision with five (5) or more acres, resulting in no more than three (3) lots, and meet certain standards.

Major Subdivisions  - Any subdivision of six or more lots or any subdivision that does not meet the minor subdivision criteria. 

Subdivision Variances - A situation where carrying out the strict letter of a subdivision regulation would allow no reasonable subdivision or use of the property.   

Subdivision Applications, Checklists and Guidelines are also available on the Subdivision Applications & Materials page.

For more information about the Chatham County Subdivision Regulations, please contact the Subdivision Administrator:
Kimberly Tyson (Major Subdivisions)
(919) 542-8283

Paula Phillips (Exempt, Expedited, and Minor Subdivisions & Riparian Buffer Review)
(919) 542-8276