Chatham County Well Registration Program
Chatham County has a new program that allows property owners, realtors, consultants or other interested parties to register well locations.
Why should you register a well?
- Forgotten wells can be an avenue for contamination of the ground water if a potential source of contamination is located near a well that is unknown to neighbors or future property owners.
- By registering a well you will be placed on a list serve that will provide a few emails a year about water quality, sampling, and other helpful tips to protect drinking water wells.
- During flood events the State Lab of Public Health will on occasion offer free samples to wells that were flooded. If your well is registered and located in an area prone to flooding Chatham County Health Department will notify you about potential free water sampling opportunities.
How do I register a well?
- Complete the well registration form.
- Once the form is complete someone from Chatham County Environmental Health will contact you within 30 days to schedule a visit to verify the well location
- Once the site is verified, the location will be "approved" on the Chatham County GIS site