For the latest information on coronavirus, or COVID-19, including service and program impacts in Chatham County, please visit the coronavirus webpage.

Setback Compliance

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


A Setback Compliance Permit is needed when an improvement is being made to a parcel of land with an existing septic and/or well to make sure the setbacks from septic and/or well are met.

Examples of when a setback is needed: home replacement, pools, storage buildings, garages, home additions.  (Home additions that increase the number of bedrooms will require an improvement permit for septic system expansion)

This permit requires:

If someone other than the landowner submits an application a legal representation document must be signed by the owner and legal representative.  This document includes information for the parcel of land on which the improvement will be done, as well as contact information for the owner and their legal representative.

Site plans are required for all applications and will need to be submitted with the property dimensions, the location of all existing and proposed structures (e.g.: facility, wells, water lines, outbuildings, workshops, garages, pools) and the driveway location. Show the distances from the proposed improvement to any existing septic tank systems and wells. Indicate the dimensions for all the structures. If you are unsure as to the structure size, please show the dimensions of the MAXIMUM area of the lot that you anticipate the structure will cover. A north arrow or other sufficient directional indicator. 
The location of any easements or rights of way on the property, and the location of any designated wetlands on the property.

A flood plain determination will need to be done by the Planning Department for all new Permits, or any permits not previously submitted to Environmental Health on a parcel of land. The top portion of the form will need to be filled out and the Planning Department will complete the bottom. The form will need to be submitted to Planning in person. Contact the Planning Department at 542-8204 for more information.

»»We do not accept any money transactions after 4:00 p.m. daily. This includes applications for permits, water samples, and any payments via cash, check, or money order.  Payments made by credit card now require a 3% convenience fee .««

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer