STRATEGIC ACTION FOR EMERGENCIES (S.A.F.E.)
S.A.F.E. is an access and functional needs registry (formerly called special needs) maintained by Chatham County, North Carolina for residents to indicate to first responders and emergency officials that they may need special assistance during emergencies or disasters. Special assistance may be required for mobility problems, vision and hearing impairment, lack of transportation, critical health issues and other needs which cause unique challenges during an emergency.
S.A.F.E. was created through a joint effort by Chatham County Council on Aging, Communications, Emergency Management, and Department of Social Services to provide residents a secure means to report information and first responders access when residents call for help.
When registering you will be asked to provide the following, at a minimum:
- Phone number
Other optional information may be submitted, at your discretion:
- Additional Addresses
- Diagnosis (if relevant)
- Special needs, such as hearing impaired, mobility issues, special devices, sight impaired, transportation needs, etc.
- Family information
- Pet information
- Emergency contacts (friends or family)
All information provided remains confidential and is only used in an emergency situation. The information gathered may be shared with first responder agencies during an emergency to notify or assist citizens with access and functional needs and provide assistance, when necessary.
REGISTERING FOR S.A.F.E.
You can register with S.A.F.E. online or over the telephone:
- Register Online - Click here to register through the Chatham County's S.A.F.E. online portal
- Register by Phone - Register over the telephone by calling any of the following (Monday-Friday 8am-5pm):
- Chatham County Emergency Management at 919-545-8163
- Chatham County Department of Social Services at 919-542-2759
- Chatham County Council on Aging at 919-542-4512 (Pittsboro Office) or 919-742-3975 (Siler City Office)
Contact Chatham County Emergency Management at 919-545-8163 (Monday-Friday 8am-5pm).