Staying informed requires a combination of monitoring trusted local news sources for current or threatened conditions, having a reliable means to receive emergency alerts and notifications, and sharing information with family, friends, and neighbors.
EMERGENCY PUBLIC ALERTS & NOTIFICATIONS
Warning the public of a potentially life-threatening emergency in Chatham County relies on a combination of pre-planning, message coordination, fixed warning systems, and first responders in neighborhoods. There is no single solution for issuing a warning to the public. Emergency Management works closely with Incident Commanders as well as state and local officials to select appropriate alerting and notification strategies based on incident-specific guidelines, affected locations, timing, target audience, current conditions, and availability of field resources.
METHODS FOR EMERGENCY PUBLIC ALERTING
A combination of the following may be used by Chatham County to alert the public of an emergency:
- Door-to-Door - First responders alerting residents in homes and businesses
- Route Alerting - First responder vehicles equipped with public address loudspeakers and sirens driving through neighborhoods and communities
- Mass Notification - CodeRED® system used to issue alerts to registered devices via telephone, SMS text, e-mail, and TDD. Must register with the system to add phone numbers and devices as well as to receive weather alerts
- Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) - Emergency messages sent to compatible mobile devices
- Emergency Alert System (EAS) - Broadcasts alert messages via AM, FM, broadcast television, cable television, and satellite television
- NOAA Weather Radios - Broadcasts official National Weather Service warnings, watches, and forecasts. May also be used by local officials to warn of an imminent threat
- Harris Nuclear Plant Warning Sirens - Outdoor warning sirens in the 10-mile Emergency Planning Zone around the Harris Nuclear Plant that produce a steady tone to alert the public of a potential emergency
CodeRED® MASS NOTIFICATION SYSTEM
Chatham County uses the CodeRED® platform for alerting the public directly via telephone, e-mail, SMS text, TDD, and through the CodeRED® app on their mobile devices. YOU MUST REGISTER TO RECEIVE NOTIFICATIONS. Visit the ALERTChatham page for more information.