MissionRelaunched in fall 2017, the Chatham County Affordable Housing Advisory Committee will make recommendations to the Chatham County Board of Commissioners for procedures and policies around affordable housing. The Committee will be instrumental in implementing the Chatham County Affordable Housing Strategy Toolbox.
Charge and Responsibilities
- Reviewing affordable housing policies and procedures and providing recommendations and comments to advise County leadership.
- Understanding the Chatham County Affordable Rental Housing Strategy Toolbox and helping to implement its priorities.
- Providing feedback and assistance in developing additional strategies to support affordable homeownership opportunities and transitional housing in Chatham County.
- Helping to promote opportunities related to affordable housing like fair housing workshops, RFPs, and surveys.
- Submitting an “Advisory Committee Summary Annual Report” to the Chatham County Board of Commissioners.
The Committee consist of 8-12 residents. Full terms are three years. The committee especially seeks members with expertise in the areas of real estate & development, social services, public health, transportation, finance, economic development, design & architecture, urban & regional planning, property management and faith-based service providers. The town boards of Goldston, Pittsboro, Siler City have designated seats. Each member of the Board of Commissioners also has an appointment for their district.
In accordance with the county’s conflict of interest policy for advisory committees, members and organizations members are associated with cannot benefit from decisions or recommendations made by the Committee.
Current members are:
- Susan Levy, Chair
- Richard Poole Vice Chair
- Pamela Baldwin, representing the Town of Pittsboro
- Victoria Navarro
- Linette Tyson
- Kyle Shipp
- Chanel Haugh
- Carolyn Huggins
- Lonnie West
- Chip Price, representing the Town of Siler City
- Bob Schmidt
- John Foley
A representative from the Town of Goldston, if interested please reach out to Stephanie Watkins-Cruz at email@example.com
The committee is currently meeting on the first Thursdays of the month, usually at the Chatham County Agriculture & Conference Center in Pittsboro. A calendar of upcoming meetings will be available here.
Affordable Housing Resources
Click here to get information on affordable housing resources in Chatham County and the region, including assistance finding affordable housing and contacts for groups that may be able to with needed home repairs. The source list also includes information on the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants.
Stephanie Watkins-Cruz,Policy Analyst,Chatham County, firstname.lastname@example.org
Erika Brown, Planner II, Triangle J Council of Governments, email@example.com