Chatham Announces Vacancy on Affordable Housing Committee
In August 2017, the Chatham County Board of Commissioners approved the formation of a new Affordable Housing Advisory Committee and members were appointed late in 2017. However, the committee currently has one vacancy and is seeking applicants.
The deadline to apply is Monday, January 22, 2018 at 5 pm. Members must be residents of Chatham County and preferably represent one or more of these interests: social services, public health, transportation, finance, economic development, design/architecture, and urban & regional planning.
We also hope to get applicants representing seniors, minority populations, property managers and landlords, faith community and mobile home park residents.
The vacant seat represents County Commissioner District 1 in northeastern Chatham, but residents from any location are encouraged to apply. The initial appointment by the Board of Commissioners would be until June 30, 2020, and the appointee could be reappointed to a full three-year term at that time.
The committee’s main responsibilities are:
- Reviewing affordable housing policies and procedures and providing recommendations to the county;
- Understanding and implementing priorities of the Chatham County Affordable Rental Housing Strategy Toolbox;
- Assisting with development of additional strategies to support affordable homeownership opportunities and transitional housing in Chatham County;
- Helping with promotion of affordable housing opportunities, such as fair housing workshops, requests for proposals, and surveys; and
- Updating county commissioners through an annual report.
To view an online application form and a map of County Commissioner Districts, visit www.chathamnc.org/CommitteeAppointments. Submit your application no later than 5 pm on January 22, 2018, 2017.