Water Tap

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Tapping to County Water

Chatham County Utilities welcomes your business! We have provided these guidelines to assist you in establishing a connection to the county's water service.

It is important to follow these guidelines exactly so that we may establish your service promptly.  If you have any questions, please call our Customer Service office at (919) 542-8270 or visit us at Please visit us at 964 East Street, Suite 205, Pittsboro, NC 27312 and complete a water service application.  Or, you can complete the appropriate form below, but you must contact our office to inquire about the fees.


If you are the property owner, you will need the following to establish service:

  1. Completed Water Service application (click here to complete online service application) or access a PDF copy that you can save/print.

  2. A copy of your settlement statement if you are starting service.

  3. Pay required fees

  4. A current government issued photo ID (driver license or ID card).

  5. No services will be turned on without these documents.

  6. You can apply in person at 964 East St (2nd Floor) or fax documents to 919-542-8282. Please make sure copies and driver license are legible to view when faxing.

Fees are based on the services you are requesting.  A permit fee will be required for all new services. 

The current cost of a standard 5/8"x3/4" meter with a 1" tap is $4,540.00. For sizes larger than 5/8"x3/4", click here to obtain connection charges.

The normal installation time frame is 4 to 6 weeks from the time application is made. 

The landowner is responsible for running waterlines from the dwelling to the water service meter, which will be installed at the right-of-way.  A pressure reducer valve (PRV) is required and is the responsibility of the landowner.  

After the application is completed, the landowner must go to Chatham County Central Permitting Office to obtain a plumbing permit.  Chatham County Utilities will install the meter and turn on service after the inspections department approves the service.   

Administrative Fee:  There is a 60 days grace period to connect your water line to the meter supplied by the county.  Charges for water shall begin on the date that your plumbing connection is completed and your meter is set or 60 days from the date the meter is installed.  Customers shall be obligated to pay the minimum $15.00 administrative fee regardless of water usage. Cost for actual water usage will be in addition to the $15.00 fee. 

Sewer Taps:

Same procedure as water taps but the fees are different.  See Sewer website.



A meter purchase is for subdivisions where the developer has already paid the availability fee. To verify if you need this service, please call customer service at (919) 542-8270 for cost. Click here for service application

In order to obtain your building permit, you must have a receipt from Chatham County Utilities verifying payment for service connection.    

Irrigation Split Taps:

As per North Carolina General Statute 143-355.4(a) effective 7/1/2009, separate meters are required for new in-ground irrigation systems on lots platted and recorded in the office of the register of dees in the county or counties in which the real property is located after July 1, 2009, that are connected to their systems.

To request a split tap for irrigation(existing service) you must do the following: 

    Pay the cost of the split irrigation tap, currently $1,000.00. You are required to install a
    cut off valve within 12-inches from the water tap and a Reduced Pressure Principle 
    Assembly (RP) which is an above ground backflow preventer device after the tap has 
    been installed and before the meter can be installed. Please see Central Permitting requirements.

    If you are requesting an irrigation service that is a standalone tap, please contact our office for connection charges.

    Commercial Services

    If you are requesting water service to be installed for a commercial business or a commercial size tap, contact Chatham County Utilities at 919-542-8270 for required fees before coming to the office.


    Hydrant Meter Rentals

    Customers wishing to rent a hydrant meter must bring a completed application to the Public Utilities Office, 964 East Street, Suite 205, Pittsboro, NC 27312 along with the required fees.  The cost to rent a hydrant will be $1000 (refundable). Click here for hydrant policy.   


    Rules and Regulations

    How do I start or disconnect my water service?

    How do I report a broken or leaky meter?

    Frequently Asked Questions? 



    Still need help? email us watershop@chathamnc.org






    Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
    They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

    Acrobat Reader Flash Player Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer