Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Q: What are the hours you are open?

A: We are open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Q: Where are you located? 

A: 102 Camp Drive, Pittsboro, NC 27312 

Q: What holidays are you closed? 

A: See North Carolina State Government Holiday Schedule link

Q: Are Social Services and Social Security the same agency? 

A: No. Social Services is a county agency administering income maintenance, Medicaid and social work programs. Social Security is a federal agency administering disability, SSI and Medicare benefits. Social Security’s toll free number is 1-800-772-1213.

Q: Are Medicare and Medicaid the same program?

A: No. Medicare is a health insurance program for all citizens over age 65 without regard to income. You may contact Social Security via telephone- 1-800-772-1213. Medicaid is a health insurance Program for low-income children and adults. You may apply for Medicaid benefits at your local Social Services Office.

Q: How do I apply for benefits offered by Social Services?

A: Applications for benefit services are taken at all local county DSS offices. To apply, please visit the local county DSS office where you currently live.
Q: Do I need an appointment? 

A: You do not need an appointment to make an application. Applications are accepted on a “first come, first served” basis. If you are already receiving benefits/services and would like to see your worker, it is best to call your worker first to make sure they will be available. 

Q: Can I make an appointment to make an application?

A: Applications are taken on a “first come, first served” basis. If you need special arrangements please call the agency at 919-542-2759 and ask to speak with the Intake worker for the benefit for which you wish to apply. 

Q: When is the best time to come in to apply? 

A: Applications for programs are taken on a “first come, first served” basis. The agency opens at 8:00 a.m. It is usually best to arrive as early as possible. The agency accepts applications for most programs anytime but it is best to arrive by 4:00 p.m. if possible in order to complete the application. The agency does not close for lunch but there is sometimes a longer wait during lunch hours since there is less staff available to take applications. 

Q: Are interpreter services available? 

A: Free interpreter services are available for anyone who speaks little or no English. Come to the agency and arrangements will be made for free interpreter services.
Q: Does DSS help with housing?

A. No. Housing assistance is handled through the Chatham County Housing Authority at 919-542-3742 

Q: What documents do I need to bring when applying for benefits/services?

A: You do not have to bring any item with you to apply for most benefits. However, you will be asked to provide information in order to process your application. Some things you may be asked to provide include:

Food Stamps:

  • One form of identification
  • Birth Certificates for all household members
  • Social Security Numbers for all household members
  • Verification of income of any kind
  • Verification of rent or mortgage
  • Verification of current utilities


  • Recent medical expenses
  • Proof of any income
  • Bank statements and account numbers
  • Life insurance policies
  • Social Security Number
  • Health insurance policies
  • Proof of legal immigrant status
  • Verification of pregnancyBirth Certificates for family members

Work First:  

  • Birth Certificates for family members
  • Social Security Numbers for family members
  • Proof of any income
  • Verifications of any assets such as bank accounts, insurance policies, property, etc.