The Animal Services Division is part of the Chatham County Public Health Department.
Chatham County Seeks Veterinarian Applicants for Animal Appeals Board
Do you have an interest in legal processes and animal welfare? Come join the Animal Appeals Board and help make long lasting decisions on behalf of the animals in Chatham County. Most cases heard by the board relate to determining if a dog is classified as dangerous or potentially dangerous.
The Animals Appeals Board currently has one veterinarian position available with a four-year commitment.
The Animal Appeals Board has hearings based upon request and are heard on the second Thursday of each month as appeals are requested. These hearings can last anywhere between one to two hours long. A package with case information is sent to Animal Appeal Board Members in advance so members can be prepared for hearings.
For questions or more information, please contact Celia Brooks at (919) 542-8294 or by email at Celia.firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline to apply is July 10, 2018. A copy of the application form is below:
RETURN FORMS TO: Celia Brooks at PO Box 130. Pittsboro, NC 27312 or by Fax to 919-542-8288 or email:
Please ensure that your pet receives proper veterinary care, including the one year and three year rabies vaccinations when they are due. Talk to your veterinarian.
Click here to view animals available for adoption or waiting to be reclaimed.
ANIMAL SHELTER HOURS & LOCATION
ADDRESS: 725 Renaissance Drive, west of Pittsboro off of US 64
NOTE: We do not intake animals on Saturdays. However, we are open for adoptions.
IMPORTANT! All animals 4 months of age or older redeemed from the shelter by the owner must provide a current rabies vaccination certificate. If they are unable to provide proof, the animal will be vaccinated for a $10 fee payable at the time of reclaim.
To make available the following services to everyone in Chatham County:
- Provide comprehensive and humane animal control and sheltering services to everyone in Chatham County, using ‘best practices'.
- Protect the public against rabies and other animal-related diseases, dangerous and vicious dogs, and damage and loss caused by dogs and cats
- Protect animals from neglect and abuse
- Provide free pickup and impoundment of stray and surrendered dogs and cats
- Provide humane sheltering, adoption, rescue and euthanasia programs for impounded dogs and cats
- Provide emergency and disaster response for animals
- Provide educational programs for the public.
MAJOR SERVICES & PROGRAMS:
- Dog and cat bite management
- Wildlife rabies incident investigation and follow-through
- Free pickup of stray and homeless dogs and cats
- Quarterly low-cost rabies vaccination clinics
- Protection against “dangerous” and “vicious” dogs, based on reports
- Animal nuisance investigation and reduction
- Investigation and remediation of neglect and abuse
- Humane sheltering of homeless and other dogs and cats
- Animal adoption and rescue programs, including partnerships with community rescue and adoption groups
- Humane euthanasia when necessary
- Veterinary care for shelter animals through contracted services
- After-hours emergency response
- Animal disaster response (natural and man-made disasters)
- Educational programs for school-aged children and the general public on animal care, the need for spaying and neutering, and related topics
PHONE: For animal complaints or information, please call 919-542-7203.
MAILING ADDRESS: Chatham Animal Services, 725 Renaissance Drive, Pittsboro, NC 27312
Please note: In keeping with the NC Public Records Law, e-mails, including attachments, may be released to others upon request for inspection and copying.
- Chatham County Animal Services Shelter population www.petharbor.com
- Pet Finders: Includes a link at the bottom of the page to animals available for adoption at the Chatham County Animal Shelter
- CARE (Chatham Animal Rescue and Education, Inc): A local nonprofit animal rescue organization with additional pets for adoption and educational programs as well as community events.
- NC Wildlife Resources Commission: http://www.ncwildlife.org/
- NC Dept, of Agriculture and Consumer Services- http://www.agr.state.nc.us/vet/
- Animal Poison Control Center: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/
- NCSU Wildlife Damage Control: -http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/nreos/wild/wildlife/wdc/index.html
The Chatham County Public Health Department wants to hear from you! The health department now has a customer satisfaction survey available online. Click here to give us feedback.