The Animal Services Division is function of the Chatham County Public Health Department.
Please assure that your pet receives proper veterinary care, including the one year and three year rabies vaccinations when they are due. Talk to your veterinarian.
FIND PETS TO ADOPT!
Use link below to view adoptable pets in the Chatham County Animal Shelter: chathamnc.animalshelternet.com
Proposed Animal Control Ordinance- DRAFT
The proposed Animal Control Ordinance (Draft) can be found here. Please note this is a draft and has not been adopted.
ANIMAL SHELTER HOURS AND SERVICES:
Note: We do not intake animals on Saturdays. However, we are open for adoptions.
Effective July 1, 2013, the fees for redemption and boarding are as follow:
First Offense: $50
Second Offense: $100
Third Offense: $125
$15 per day
"Like" Us on Facebook!
The Chatham County Animal Shelter has a Facebook page that is updated regularly with pictures and information about our pets and our work. Please click here to learn more or visit the Facebook page by clicking here.
Click here to learn how to prepare your pets for a disaster. Click here for the Spanish version.
MISSION: To make available these services to everyone in Chatham County:
- Provide comprehensive and humane animal control and sheltering services to everyone in Chatham County, using ‘best practices'.
- Protect the public against rabies and other animal-related diseases, dangerous and vicious dogs, and damage and loss caused by dogs and cats
- Protect animals from neglect and abuse
- Provide free pickup and impoundment of stray and surrendered dogs and cats
- Provide humane sheltering, adoption, rescue and euthanasia programs for impounded dogs and cats
- Provide emergency and disaster response for animals
- Provide educational programs for the public.
MAJOR SERVICES & PROGRAMS:
- Dog and cat bite management
- Wildlife rabies incident investigation and follow-through
- Free pickup of stray and homeless dogs and cats
- Quarterly low-cost rabies vaccination clinics
- Protection against “dangerous” and “vicious” dogs, based on reports
- Animal nuisance investigation and reduction
- Investigation and remediation of neglect and abuse
- Humane sheltering of homeless and other dogs and cats
- Animal adoption and rescue programs, including partnerships with community rescue and adoption groups
- Humane euthanasia when necessary
- Veterinary care for shelter animals through contracted services
- After-hours emergency response
- Animal disaster response (natural and man-made disasters)
- Educational programs for school-aged children and the general public on animal care, the need for spaying and neutering, and related topics
SHELTER LOCATION: 725 County Landfill Road, west of Pittsboro off of US 64
SHELTER HOURS: Shelter open to the public from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday and 8 am to 12 pm on Saturday
PHONE: Shelter phone, 919-542-7203
MAILING ADDRESS: Animal Control, Chatham County Public Health Department, P. O. Box 130, Pittsboro, NC 27312
Chatham County offers a low cost Spay and Neuter voucher to residents that qualify. To request more information on qualifications for each household please call 919-542-7203.
- Click here for the Spay/Neuter Program flyer.
- Click here for the Spay/Neuter program application.
ANIMAL CONTROL REPORTS
To view monthly and annual reports, click here.
Please click here to take Chatham County Public Health Department’s Community Survey.
Encuesta en la Comunidad
HEALTH DEPARTMENT OFFERS WEB-BASED CUSTOMER SATISFACTION SURVEY
The Chatham County Public Health Department wants to hear from you! The health department now has a customer satisfaction survey available online. Click here to give us feedback.
Encuesta de Satisfacción del Cliente para el Departamento de Salud Pública del Condado de Chatham