The Animal Services Division is part of the Chatham County Public Health Department.
Please ensure that your pet receives proper veterinary care, including the one year and three year rabies vaccinations when they are due. Talk to your veterinarian.
Chatham County Animal Services hires new supervisor
The Chatham County Public Health Department is welcoming Rick Putnam as Animal Services Supervisor. In addition to his passion for animal welfare, Rick brings a wealth of experience that will serve him well in this role. He has a background in local and international law enforcement administration and investigations. He is also well-acquainted with the work of Animal Services, having spent time with Alamance County Sheriff’s Office and the Mebane Police Department’s Animal Control Division.
“Rick stepped into the role in March and will oversee all animal control and animal shelter operations and initiatives. We are fortunate to have someone with his experience, knowledge and commitment leading the Animal Services division,” said Health Director Layton Long.
Rick added, “I’m honored to have been chosen for this position; the Animal Services Division is staffed with very knowledgeable and hardworking professionals who are committed to providing excellent animal care and control services to the public. My focus is to further equip staff and build lasting relationships with citizens and the community.”
FIND PETS TO ADOPT AND STRAYS FOUND
Click here to view animals available for adoption or waiting to be reclaimed.
ANIMAL SHELTER HOURS & LOCATION
ADDRESS: 725 Renaissance Drive, west of Pittsboro off of US 64
NOTE: We do not intake animals on Saturdays. However, we are open for adoptions.
First Offense: $100
Second Offense: $200
Third Offense: $300
Redemption Fee (reclaimed animals held at the shelter)
IMPORTANT! All animals 4 months of age or older redeemed from the shelter by the owner must provide a current rabies vaccination certificate. If they are unable to provide proof, the animal will be vaccinated for a $10 fee payable at the time of reclaim.
LOW-COST PAY/NEUTER PROGRAM
Chatham County offers a low-cost Spay and Neuter voucher to residents that qualify. To request more information on qualifications for each household, please call 919-542-7203
- Click here for the Spay/Neuter Program flyer.
- Click here for the Spay/Neuter program application.
MONTHLY & ANNUAL ANIMAL CONTROL REPORTS
PREPARING PETS FOR DISASTERS
to learn how to prepare your pets for a disaster. Click here
for the Spanish version.
To make available the following services to everyone in Chatham County:
- Provide comprehensive and humane animal control and sheltering services to everyone in Chatham County, using ‘best practices'.
- Protect the public against rabies and other animal-related diseases, dangerous and vicious dogs, and damage and loss caused by dogs and cats
- Protect animals from neglect and abuse
- Provide free pickup and impoundment of stray and surrendered dogs and cats
- Provide humane sheltering, adoption, rescue and euthanasia programs for impounded dogs and cats
- Provide emergency and disaster response for animals
- Provide educational programs for the public.
MAJOR SERVICES & PROGRAMS:
- Dog and cat bite management
- Wildlife rabies incident investigation and follow-through
- Free pickup of stray and homeless dogs and cats
- Quarterly low-cost rabies vaccination clinics
- Protection against “dangerous” and “vicious” dogs, based on reports
- Animal nuisance investigation and reduction
- Investigation and remediation of neglect and abuse
- Humane sheltering of homeless and other dogs and cats
- Animal adoption and rescue programs, including partnerships with community rescue and adoption groups
- Humane euthanasia when necessary
- Veterinary care for shelter animals through contracted services
- After-hours emergency response
- Animal disaster response (natural and man-made disasters)
- Educational programs for school-aged children and the general public on animal care, the need for spaying and neutering, and related topics
PHONE: For animal complaints or information, please call 919-542-7203.
MAILING ADDRESS: Chatham Animal Services, 725 Renaissance Drive, Pittsboro, NC 27312
The Chatham County Public Health Department wants to hear from you! The health department now has a customer satisfaction survey available online. Click here to give us feedback.
Encuesta de Satisfacción del Cliente para el Departamento de Salud Pública del Condado de Chatham