CLICK HERE FOR OCCUPANCY TAX FORM
Chatham County Occupancy Tax is a three percent tax paid by overnight visitors. It is collected by local lodging facilities, remitted to Chatham County and can legally only be used to promote travel and tourism.
Do you own short term rental property in Chatham County?
If you rent your home, a room in your home, a cottage or vacation property for periods of less than 90 days, you are required by law to collect Chatham County Occupancy Tax..
The Pittsboro-Siler City Convention & Visitors Bureau is fully funded by the three percent occupancy tax paid by overnight visitors and collected by local lodging facilities. All proceeds of the tax are legally required to be used to promote travel and tourism. We all benefit from having more vistors and tourists come to our county. Click here to visit the Pittsboro-Siler City Convention & Vistors Bureau.
If you rent out your home, a room in your home, a cottage or vacation property for periods of less than 90 days, the State of North Carolina and Chatham County law requires you to collect a 3% occupancy tax (in addition to NC state sales tax) from your guests. You must register your rental property with the Chatham County Tax Office. The Tax Department can be reached at 919-542-8224, and the mailing address is P.O. Box 697, Pittsboro N.C. 27312.
Note: The manner in which you rent out your property does not excuse you from collecting and remitting this tax. If you rent your property using online rent by owner sites, you still must collect and remit 3% occupancy taxes to Chatham County or be in violation of North Carolina law.
If you are a property owner and have entered into an agreement with an online service to be a "member" or "host" of any online property rental venues, you would have agreed to that company's terms of service and/or terms and conditions. Please read those terms because failure to comply with local, state and federal tax laws also means you are violating the terms of service and/or terms and conditions.of the online company with whom your property is listed. If you cannot locate those terms of service and/or terms and conditions, please email Angela McMahon, Chatham County Tax Paralegal. She will be happy to assist you.
General Filing Information:
For assistance in completing the room occupancy tax collection form or questions regarding occupancy tax, please call the Chatham County Tax Department at 919-542-8224 and ask for Angela McMahon.
- The room occupancy tax report must be filed each month on or before the twentieth day of the month following the month in which the tax accrues. Legible postmarks of the U.S. Postal Service on or by the 20th of the month are considered timely. Metered mail is considered to be received as of the date the remittance is received in this office. You may email your report to Angela McMahon, Chatham County Tax Paralegal. The same due date applies to emailed reports.
- The tax shown to be due must be paid by the 20th of the month or penalties will be charged. See North Carolina General Statute (NCGS) 105.236 for information regarding penalties. Penalties will be billed for late reports and or late tax remittances.
- Payment should be made by check or money order. Make the check payable to the Chatham County Tax Department. One check for all locations will be accepted; however, a separate report for each location must be filed.
- If you do not owe any tax for a month, you must file a report showing "No Tax Due".
- A report filed with the Chatham County Tax Department under this Ordinance is not public record as defined by Section 132-1 of the North Carolina General Statutes and may not be disclosed except as required by law. See NCGS 153A-155(d)