Print and Microfilm
Local history and genealogy materials may be found primarily at Chatham Community Library in Pittsboro. The local history and genealogy (LHG) collection includes published and unpublished family histories, church and community histories, troop lists, cemetery records, census information, and more. The microfilm collection includes Chatham County records such as court minutes, records of wills, tax scrolls, and newspapers dating back to 1878. Digitized issues of the Chatham Record from 1878 to 1904 are available on the Digital NC site.
Chatham Community Library's family history files and subject files are maintained by the Chatham County Historical Association. Please see the family name index and the subject index to determine if these files might be helpful in your research.
The library has equipment to aid you in your research efforts, including microfilm readers, printers, copiers, and scanners. Chatham Community Library also has two dedicated computers for local history and genealogy research.
Please check our online catalog or call Chatham Community Library at 919-545-8086 if you have questions about materials in our collection.
In addition to our physical collections, several online genealogy databases are available to patrons at all Chatham County Public Library branches:
- African-American Heritage: available in the library and off site at africanamericanheritage.proquest.com. Please call 545-8086 for login information.
- Ancestry Library Edition: available in the library at www.ancestrylibrary.com.
- HeritageQuest Online: available in the library and off site through NC LIVE at www.nclive.org.
Volunteer genealogists are available to assist with family history research, whether your ancestors lived in Chatham County, the 50 states, or overseas. A genealogist is on site at Chatham Community Library in Pittsboro most Thursdays from 9:00 am to noon, and on other days and times by appointment. Call 919-545-8086 to make an appointment. Reference staff can also help you locate and use library resources during normal library hours. Please refer to our genealogy research policy for more information.
- Chatham County Historical Association – A non-profit organization interested in preserving and communicating the history of Chatham County.
- Chatham History & Genealogy – Information specific to Chatham County, including family trees and links to other helpful resources.
- Digital NC – Digital versions of primary sources from cultural heritage institutions around North Carolina.
- FamilySearch – Free records and resources for researching family history.
- North Carolina Newspapers – Over 3 million pages of selected North Carolina newspapers have been microfilmed. Please check the site to see what is available.
- State Library of North Carolina – The Government & Heritage Library includes an extensive genealogy collection.