MissionRelaunched in fall 2017, the Chatham County Affordable Housing Advisory Committee will make recommendations to the Chatham County Board of Commissioners for procedures and policies around affordable housing. The Committee will be instrumental in implementing the Chatham County Affordable Housing Strategy Toolbox.
Charge and Responsibilities
- Reviewing affordable housing policies and procedures and providing recommendations and comments to advise County leadership.
- Understanding the Chatham County Affordable Rental Housing Strategy Toolbox and helping to implement its priorities.
- Providing feedback and assistance in developing additional strategies to support affordable homeownership opportunities and transitional housing in Chatham County.
- Helping to promote opportunities related to affordable housing like fair housing workshops, RFPs, and surveys.
- Submitting an “Advisory Committee Summary Annual Report” to the Chatham County Board of Commissioners.
Work of Affordable Rental Housing Task Force
Information on the Affordable Rental Housing Task Force that completed major work in 2016-17 can be found here.
The Committee consist of 8-12 residents. Full terms are three years. The committee especially seeks members with expertise in the areas of real estate & development, social services, public health, transportation, finance, economic development, design & architecture, urban & regional planning, property management and faith-based service providers. The town boards of Goldston, Pittsboro, Siler City have designated seats. Each member of the Board of Commissioners also has an appointment for their district.
In accordance with the county’s conflict of interest policy for advisory committees, members and organizations members are associated with cannot benefit from decisions or recommendations made by the Committee.
As of October 16, 2017, the members are:
- Pamela Baldwin, representing the Town of Pittsobor
- Guile Contreras
- John Foley
- Shaneka Gillespie
- Felicia Hackney
- Carolyn Huggins
- Susan Levy
- Bill Moses
- Tammy Phillips
- Chip Price, representing the Town of Siler City
- Bob Schmidt
- Lonnie West
The committee has not yet set its meeting schedule, but is expected to so late fall 2017. A calendar of upcoming meetings will be available here.
Tansy Long, firstname.lastname@example.org, 919-545-8398