Effective July 11, 2006, the Chatham County Marriage License requirements are stated below:
FEE: $60.00. Must be paid by cash or checks only.
LICENSE APPLICATION HOURS: Applicants must be in the Register of Deeds Office after 8:00 am but before 4:00 pm to apply for a marriage license.
VALID PERIOD: The marriage license is valid in North Carolina for 60 days, starting from the date the license is issued.
IDENTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: The bride and groom must come together and present identification. Both a Social Security verification and one of the following identifications are required:
- United States issued driver's license (must not be expired)
- State-issued identification card (must not be expired)
- Passport with Visa (must not be expired)
- United States military identification (must not be expired)
Both the bride and groom must provide Social Security numbers with verification of the numbers. To provide verification, the applicants must present one of the following:
- United States Social Security Card
- W-2 form
- Payroll check stub showing the applicant's name and Social Security number.
NOTE: If no Social Security Card has been issued to the applicant, he or she should bring an affadavit stating that the applicant has never been issued a Social Security Card and is ineligible at the time of application to receive one.
CERTIFIED COPY: The cost of a certified marriage license is $10.00, payable by cash or check only. The applicant may pay for the certified copy while obtaining the marriage license and it will be mailed to the applicant once the license has been returned to the Register of Deeds Office.
PRIOR MARRIAGES: If either the bride or groom has been married before, the applicant must:
- Know the date of his or her divorce (month and year)
- Provide a copy of the divorce decree, if the divorce is recent.
AGE REQUIREMENTS: Applicants for a marriage license that are at least age 18 can file for a marriage license without consent. The rules for younger applicants are:
- No one under 14 may marry in NC.
- Over 16 and under 18 may marry but must have consent of parent.
- Over 14 and under 16 must obtain a court order.
QUESTIONS: Staff are available from by phone to answer questions Monday-Friday from 8 am to 5 pm at 919-542-8235.