The new Chatham County Justice Center in Pittsboro is nearing completion, with the moving process underway between Dec. 13, 2012 and Jan. 2, 2013. The county invites the public to attend the grand opening and ribbon cutting on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2 pm.
The new Justice Center is located at 40 E. Chatham Street in Pittsboro, adjacent to US 15-501 just south of the traffic circle. Starting Jan. 2, 2013 all court sessions other than Siler City Criminal District Court will be in the new Justice Center.
During the transition period, the following December sessions of court will continue in their current locations:
- Civil District Court (Dec. 17 and 31), Small Claims Court (Dec. 18), and Child Support Court (Dec. 21) will be in the current District Courtroom in the Courthouse Annex in Pittsboro.
- Criminal Superior Court (Dec. 17 and 20) will be in the current Superior Courtroom at 158 West Street in Pittsboro.
“It will take some time to get everyone moved in and operational with as few inconveniences as possible,” said Clerk of Superior Court Sam Cooper.
Cooper said that on Dec. 13-14, all court filings and payments will be accepted and processed behind the current District Courtroom in the Courthouse Annex Building. However, public access to the Clerk of Superior Court’s records will be limited on these two days.
Starting Monday, Dec. 17, all Clerk of Superior Court functions will be handled in the new Justice Center. The Office of Superior Court’s phone number (919-545-3500) and mailing address (P. O. Box 369, Pittsboro, NC 27312) will remain the same, but the street address changes to 40 E. Chatham Street.
The District Attorney’s Office will be closed to the public on Dec. 13 during the move. They expect to have limited services in the Justice Center on Dec. 14, but hope to be fully operational by Dec. 17.
Other court-related offices and how they are impacted by the move are:
- Superior Court offices will move Dec. 13-14. The employees typically divide their time between Orange and Chatham counties, so they will be in both places during the move. The new Justice Center office will be open the afternoon of Dec. 17.
- Public Defender’s Office is moving Dec. 13-14 and will have limited services during that time. It should be open with most services available on Dec. 17.
- The Probation Services Office is still working out the details of its move but hopes to be fully functional in the new Justice Center by Dec. 21. More details to come.
- Chatham 360 (first offender program) is moving on Dec. 13-14 and will not be available for individual office visits during that time, but group sessions will continue on those two days at their current location (40 Camp Drive in Pittsboro). The director will be available to clients by work cell phone during that time. Chatham 360 opens in the Justice Center on Dec. 17.
- Treatment Accountability for Safer Communities (TASC): TASC is moving on Dec. 13-14 so office visits will not be available on those dates. To avoid interruption of service, TASC will work with clients ahead of time to accommodate their needs on those dates. The TASC Manager will be accessible to clients via work cell phone. TASC offices in the Justice Center open Dec. 17.
- Guardian ad Litem services will be available in the Chapel Hill office during its move on Dec. 13-14, but will be open on Dec. 17 in the Justice Center.
The Magistrates Office will continue to be housed in Sheriff’s Office and will not be part of the move. District Court offices will continue as is and will not be housed in the Justice Center, even though District Court will be convened there starting Jan. 2, 2013.
More information on the Jan. 4 ribbon cutting and grand opening will be announced in early December.