Get Moving in Chatham on National Walking Day on April 5, 2017
Chatham County residents are encouraged to put on their walking shoes and be ready to take part in National Walking Day on Wednesday, April 5, 2017. The American Heart Association sponsors this event nationally every April.
“Lack of physical inactivity is a big health issue in North Carolina and Chatham County,” said Tracy Burnett, director of Chatham County Parks & Recreation. “Walking or other exercise is a key factor to preventing heart disease, strokes and other serious issues.”
The American Heart Association recommends a minimum of 150 minutes per week of physical activity for adults and 60 minutes daily for children and adolescents.
On Wednesday, April 5, Chatham County joins millions of Americans as they pledge to live a healthier lifestyle and get physically active. Come ready to walk at any of these events:
- 8:00 AM — Southwest District Park, 15124 NC Hwy 902, Bear Creek
- 9:00 AM —Eastern Chatham Senior Center, 365 Hwy 87, Pittsboro
- 10:30 AM — Western Chatham Senior Center, 112 Village Lake Road, Siler City
- Noon — Pittsboro Justice Center, 40 E Chatham St, Pittsboro, NC 27312
- Noon—Siler City Health Department Clinic, 1000 S. Tenth Avenue, Siler City (goes to Paul Braxton Park, 1000 S. 10th Avenue, Siler City
- 4:00 PM — Rock Ridge Park, 1397 Old Sanford Road, Moncure (includes tree identification)
- 5:30 PM — Northeast District Park—5408 Big Woods Road, Chapel Hill
- 5:30 PM — Loves Creek Greenway (meet at Bray Park Parking Lot –800 Alston Bridge Road, Siler City)
At the Rock Ridge Park site, the Town of Pittsboro Parks staff is joining with Grand Trees of Chatham to host a tree identification walk through the park. “It will provide an opportunity to learn more about our surroundings, interact with our fellow community members, and get exercise through a nice walk,” said Paul Horne, parks planner for Pittsboro.
Burnett encourages residents to look beyond National Walking Day and take part in regular walking activities. The county will have staff available at the locations and times below to encourage people to walk with others. Note that some are only staffed between April and October.
- Eastern Chatham Senior Center, 365 Highway 87, Pittsboro, Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays at 9 AM (April - October) sponsored by the Chatham County Council on Aging, 919-542-4512, email@example.com
- Western Chatham Senior Center, 112 Village Lake Road, Siler City, Wednesdays at 8:30 AM (April-October) sponsored by Chatham County Council on Aging, 919-742-3975, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Northeast District Park, 5408 Big Woods Road, Chapel Hill, Tuesdays at 9 AM & Thursdays at 6 PM (April-October), sponsored by Chatham County Parks and Recreation, email@example.com
- Southwest District Park, 15124 NC Hwy 902, Bear Creek, Wednesdays at 8 AM, Tuesdays at 6 PM, (April-October), sponsored by Chatham County Parks and Recreation, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Earnest Ramsey Gym, 512 E 6th Street, Siler City, Monday thru Friday from 7 AM – 9 AM, sponsored by Town of Siler City Parks and Recreation, 919-742-2699
- Paul Braxton Gym, 115 S 3rd Avenue, Siler City, Monday thru Friday from 7 AM – 9 AM, sponsored by Town of Siler City Parks and Recreation, 919-742-2699.
Chatham’s National Walking Day is a collaborative event hosted by: Chatham County Parks & Recreation, Chatham County Public Health Department, Chatham County Council on Aging, Town of Pittsboro, and the Town of Siler City Parks and Recreation.
Information about all of the public walking trails in Chatham County may be found online at www.chathamnc.org/ParksTrails. Or, call 919-545-8555 to request a flyer.