Chatham County Releases the 2018 State of the County Report
At the September 24, 2018 meeting of the Chatham County Board of Commissioners, Chairman Diana Hales presented the 2018 State of the County Report. The report covers county highlights of fiscal year 2017-18, which ended June 30, 2018.
The report covers the following areas:
- Plan Chatham: Plan Chatham is the county's Comprehensive Plan adopted by the Board of Commissioners in November 2017. Several activities are already underway to implement the plan. It also has led to several functional area plans to get underway: Five-Year Chatham Aging Plan (completed), Comprehensive County Master Plan for Parks & Recreation and a Master Plan for Water and Wastewater in partnership with the towns. Plan Chatham has earned top national and state awards for its innovative approach and covering of health and natural resources.
- Education Highlights: This covers several major school facilities underway or in the planning stage. It also covers a few major school system achievements in the past year.
- Non-School Facilities Update: A few non-educational facilities also made progress this past year.
- Economic Development News: The Chatham Economic Development Corporation provided very positive updates on new job creation and new business investment compared to the prior year. The past year included funding and grants to improve infrastructure for the two megasites located in the county. The megasites are large industrial sites ready for major industries.
- County Leadership News: This section covers several major changes in county administration and departments.
- Major Awards & Honors: Several departments and individuals earned awards or appointments to important state and national boards.
- Other Highlights: We have included an array of major accomplishments by departments and offices in the past year.