Chatham Shelter Opening Changes and Delays & Cancellations Related to Hurricane Florence
IMPORTANT!! Due to the latest forecast, which has Hurricane Florence's impact in our area much later than earlier forecasted, Chatham County will delay the opening of its two shelters until 7 PM tomorrow (Thursday). More information on this below.
Several Chatham County offices, court services and events will be impacted by Hurricane Florence. At this time, Chatham County government plans to have all its offices open Thursday, unless the forecast changes. We have not made a decision on Friday yet, but will do so tomorrow.
Below are existing changes in events and services offered by Chatham County and the court system:
- All Chatham County court sessions will not be held on Thursday and Friday. The Clerk of Superior Court will announce its revised hours later.
- The Health Department clinics will be closed to clients on Thursday and Friday, but will have very limited staff on hand to answer calls.
- Chatham County Council on Aging has cancelled all delivered meals and on-site meals on Thursday and Friday.
- The Sheriff’s Office has moved its Community Appreciation event from this Friday to Friday, Sept. 21, 2018.
- The Solid Waste & Recycling office has cancelled the Household Hazardous Waste event slated for Saturday.
- Cooperative Extension has cancelled many programs scheduled for tonight through the weekend and participants have been contacted. This includes the County 4-H Livestock Show that was scheduled for this weekend. Other updates will be posted at: https://chatham.ces.ncsu.edu/
- All Chatham County committees and boards that were meeting Thursday have been cancelled.
- The Board of Commissioners meeting slated for Monday has been rescheduled for Sept. 24, 5 PM. We will not have a work session at that meeting.
Reminder that Chatham County will open two shelters starting 7 PM on Thursday night:
- Northwood High School: 310 Northwood High School Rd, Pittsboro, NC 27312
- Chatham Middle School: 2025 S 2nd Avenue Ext, Siler City, NC 27344
PET OWNERS PLEASE BE ADVISED: It is important that you make arrangements for sheltering of your pets in advance of the storm. You can’t depend on space being available for pets in county shelters. Shelter space for pets is VERY LIMITED. Only Northwood High School has any pet sheltering capability for cats and dogs only, but very limited capacity. For this reason, it is important to call ahead to see if pet space is available. Call 919-545-8162. If you are told space is available, you must have pets on leash or in a crate when you arrive and also bring their food and medications. If you arrive and no space is available for pets, you may be turned away.