Chatham County Seeks Applicants for Several Advisory Committee Vacancies
UPDATED: May 4, 2018
MAY, 19, 2018 DEADLINE TO APPLY:
Affordable Housing Advisory Committee:
One at-large seat is available for a three-year term. The committee, which meets monthly in Pittsboro, studies and makes recommendations to the Board of Commissioners on procedures and policies around affordable housing. Other priorities are:
- Understanding the Chatham County Affordable Rental Housing Strategy Toolbox and helping to implement its priorities.
- Providing feedback and assistance in developing additional strategies to support affordable homeownership opportunities and transitional housing in Chatham County.
- Helping to promote opportunities related to affordable housing like fair housing workshops, RFPs, and surveys.
Climate Change Advisory Committee:
One vacancy is for a full three years, while the other would have an initial term of one year but eligible for reappointment in 2019 for a full three years. Both are at-large appointments of the Board of Commissioners. The committee typically meets monthly in Pittsboro.
The committee makes recommendations to the Board of Commissioners and others about likely climate change impacts in Chatham County and ways to adapt to and mitigate these impacts, including: reducing emissions of greenhouse gases, promoting the use of renewable energy, promoting carbon neutral/green building standards for new and existing buildings, and encouraging resilient conservation–oriented land uses. They also focus on residential and commercial land development standards that foster climate change mitigation and adaptation.
Library Advisory Committee:
One vacancy designated for County Commissioner District 2 (southeastern Chatham), but those living in other areas are encouraged to apply. The appointment is for three years.
The Library Advisory Committee, which typically meets quarterly, advises library staff on the operation of the county’s public libraries and has two recently adopted goals:
- Represent and respond to current library system needs and issues and identify emerging trends, challenges, opportunities and needs.
- Promote usage of the library services and programs by all residents.
Transportation Advisory Committee:
The county has one upcoming vacancy on this committee, which usually meets quarterly as needed. The vacancy represents County Commissioner District 5, which is the southwestern section of the county.
The Transportation Advisory Committee’s purpose is to provide technical recommendations to the Board of County transportation related issues, such as the NC Department of Transportation highway priorities for the regional transportation entities serving Chatham County.
How and When to Apply:
To complete an online application for committee service, visit https://chathamnc.seamlessdocs.com/f/CommitteeForm. Or contact Lindsay Ray at 919-542=8200 or firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain a printed or emailed copy. The deadline is Thursday, May 19, 2018 at 5 PM.
MAY 25, 2018 DEADLINE TO APPLY:
Environmental Review Committee:
One vacant seat is available that is assigned to County Commissioner District 2 (southeastern Chatham), but people in other areas of the county are invited to apply. The appointment is for three years, effective July 1, 2018.
The Environmental Review Advisory Committee typically meets on the second Thursday of the month at 6:30 pm, but the schedule may vary due to holidays and issues on the agenda.
The committee’s main duties are:
- Advising the Board of Commissioners on environmental policy and related county ordinances, including the watershed ordinance.
- Conducting special projects, as assigned, to protect the environment.
- Assisting county staff with reviews of required state and federal environmental permits for projects in the county.
- Partnering with towns in the county and other interested governmental agencies on mutual concerns related to the environment.
- Serving as the county’s Watershed Review Board.
How and When to Apply:
To complete an online application for committee service, visit https://chathamnc.seamlessdocs.com/f/CommitteeForm. Or contact Lindsay Ray at 919-542=8200 or email@example.com to obtain a printed or emailed copy. The deadline is Friday, May 25, 2018 at 5 PM.