Chatham County Earns Several Statewide Safety Awards for 2017
For the fifth year in a row, Chatham County received several top awards from the NC Department of Labor for outstanding safety practices. For calendar year 2017, Chatham County received a total of 11 awards, including six Gold Awards and five Silver Awards.
|NC Labor Commissioner Cherie Berry (left) and Chatham County’s Safety & Risk
Manager Marilyn Grant show off the array of 2017 Safety Awards the county earned.
The NC Department of Labor’s awards program recognizes private and public entities that achieve and maintain good safety records. To qualify the county had to verify for each award that the department had no fatalities and maintained an incident rate at least 50 percent below the average for its industry group.
“We are thrilled that four departments maintained the Gold Award for five consecutive years,” said Chatham County Safety & Risk Manager Marilyn Grant. These four departments are Management & Information Systems, Library, 9-1-1 Telecommunications and the Tax Office.
A large grouping of that smaller offices (Board of Elections, County Manager’s Office, Finance, Central Permits & Inspections, Convention & Visitor’s Bureau, Planning and Soil & Water Conservation) has earned a Gold Award for three straight years, while the Water Utilities Office, including the Treatment Plant, has won that award two years in a row. In the Silver category, the Public Health Department has achieved this level for five years.
“We have continued to show improvement each year,” said County Manager Renee Paschal. “Marilyn does an outstanding job and so do our departments, even when their work can sometimes be hazardous.”
The complete list of Chatham County’s Safety Awards for 2017 is:
- Fifth Consecutive Year Gold - Library
- Fifth Consecutive Year Gold - Management & Information Systems
- Fifth Consecutive Year Gold - Telecommunications
- Fifth Consecutive Year Gold – Tax
- Third Consecutive Year Gold - Chatham County (this large category includes Board of Elections, County Manager’s Office, Finance, Permit & Inspections, Convention & Visitor’s Bureau, Planning and Soil & Water Conservation)
- Second Consecutive Year Gold - Water Utilities (includes Treatment Plant)
- First Year Silver- Recreation
- First Year Silver – Sheriff’s Office
- First Year Silver – Solid Waste & Recycling
- Fifth Consecutive Year Silver - Health Department
- Second Year Silver - Department of Social Services